Saturday, August 15, 2015

Summer Class Review + Looking Ahead

This summer (June 1 - July 26) I took a 3 credit class to help me get a head start on my sophomore year of college. The class was Intro to Women's Studies. I thought it would basically be history from a woman's perspective, or maybe focus on the contributions women made to history that we kind of gloss over in standard textbooks. Instead it focused on the history and different types of feminism, and how without it, women would not be able to do many of the things we take for granted today. It was definitely an eye-opener, and though I was only taking it to fulfill my sociology requirement for my degree, I ended up really loving it. Intro to Women's Studies quickly became one of my favorite classes as well as one of the most informational ones.

My brother definitely thought I was crazy for purposely choosing to take a class during the summer, but it was just one class and it helped me get ahead for this school year. Because I took Women's Studies I only have to take four classes this semester, which gives me a chance to really focus on the ones I like: creative writing and science fiction. I'm so excited to finally take creative writing this semester. Back in May of 2014 when I was planning for my college career I saw that the earliest I could take it was my sophomore year. At the time I thought it would be the longest wait of my life, but here I am a year and half later actually getting ready to do it! Time flies.

I'm also looking forward to moving into the dorms in a week and getting out on my own for the first time. I couldn't live on campus last year because my financial aid went all wacky, but this time around I knew what to expect and made it happen. That, and I received a lot of scholarships for this school year that I was not even expecting. They are really going to help me even beyond my community college. The leftover FA I get this year will help me make it to university later on down the road. My parents and younger brother are going to help me move in a week from now, and after that I'm on my own for the first time. Of course my family will still be in town if I need them, and I'll see them at church on Sundays, but other than that I can really start to make my own choices.

Last year there were many events I wanted to attend that I could not because of how late they went. My parents had a curfew for me. This time around, though, the only curfew I have to worry about is the one I set for myself. Of course I completely intend to plan accordingly; if I have a morning class I will make sure to get to bed at a decent hour. Lucky for me, though, most of my classes are in the afternoon or evening. (I learned my lesson about morning classes last semester.) I'm also looking forward to having a roommate and making new friends. Last year my social life took a nosedive, but I've used this summer to kind of collect my thoughts about the situation and decide what I want in friendships and relationships in the future. I feel ready to get back into the swing of things and start fresh. Luckily I made some friends as a freshman that will still be around this year to help me get started in building a new social circle.

Most of all, though, I'm looking forward to really staring to get serious about my career as an author. I believe my creative writing class will help me with some of that, as well as participating in NaNoWriMo this November, but ultimately I know that it is all up to me to make it happen. I write decent fanfiction, but lately that seems to be all I've been writing. I have grand plans for my fanfic characters, but I also really want to get serious about writing real fiction and putting my name out there. It won't happen right away, but the journey of a thousand miles begins with the first step. I intend to throw myself into the deep end, choose a project, and see it through to the finish line, no matter how hard it is. Regardless of what the world tells me, I CAN be a published author. God gave me one talent, and I plan to use it. Look out, world. My characters are about to break out of prison!

All in all, it's been kind of a busy summer, but I'm looking forward to moving on campus and going back to school very soon. This is the year I get my AA in English. This is the year I begin to make my dream a reality. This is the year of change.

Also, my brother started high school this past week. Where does the time go?

No comments:

Post a Comment