Wednesday, September 23, 2015

TMNT Tidbits #1: My Shippings and the New Hun

I forgot to mention in my last post that since it's September, and September 29 was the day that the current version of TMNT aired on Nickelodeon, this month will be focused solely on the Turtles - much like Sonic back in June. Last time I talked about fanfiction, but now it's time for the real deal. Welcome to my first ever TMNT Tidbits - random things about the Turtles that I've wanted to mention but never had enough material for to create a full post. Here we go!

First up - and I know this is really late - but did anyone else catch that line in S03E15, "The Noxious Avenger," when Bebop and Rocksteady attempt to make a quick getaway from the Turtles and Bebop says, "I'm outie five thousand?" I am, like, 90% sure that that was a reference to Andre (aka Black Nerd) from YouTube, who does TMNT recaps for every episode. At the end of his videos, Andre usually says "I'm outie five thousand." I know he is a pretty big name in the TMNT universe right now, so I wondered if Ciro threw that in there on purpose as an honorable mention to him. If so...that is AWESOME!

Second, shippings. I figure I should talk about this at least once. The biggest debate right now is Apritello vs. Capril. I will probably go into more depth on this in another post, but to sum up, I was a fan of Apritello until S02E04, "Mutagen Man Unleashed," when Casey Jones was first introduced. It was an instant turnaround for me. The moment he gave her that smirk and said, "I'm Casey Jones," I knew he was going to win her over real quick and I became a Capril shipper. I just love his character. They are so perfect for each other.


The next biggest thing is Leo x Karai. To be honest, I have never truly shipped those two like a lot of Shellheads do. Even in the 2003 series when they were completely unrelated I didn't like them as a romantic couple. But especially with this 2012 series, I really see them more as brother and sister than anything else. Plus...that's kind of what they are. Just saying.

Mikey x Renet is a new thing to me, but I love it so much. I am so used to Greg Cipes and Ashely Johnson's characters being paired up in every other show (Teen Titans, SRMTHFG!, etc.) that it's pretty much natural to put those two together at this point. I didn't like Renet in the 2003 series, but Ashley brings something totally brand-new and likeable to the character, and I completely ship her and Mikey now. More, please!

Raphael x Mona Lisa is my OTP for the TMNT series, but I can't say much about it since we haven't met Mona in the current show yet.

Finally, HUN. HUUUUUUN. I love Hun! I was so excited when I found out he would be introduced in Season 3. The 2012 version of him is really different from the 2003 series in terms of physical appearance, but his affiliation with the Purple Dragons, ridiculous loyalty to Shredder, and overall character seems to still be intact for the most part, with some minor exceptions. 2012 Hun is much more vocal about his battle scenes, whereas 2003 Hun would just stand there and start choking his enemy without any pretense whatsoever. He was all business - a quality that the new Hun has, but not as much of. Honestly, though, I love the rivalry between Hun and Casey Jones in this new series, and I fangirl every time Hun is in an episode. He is one of the greatest TMNT villains ever. Now if only we had Agent Bishop...


Anyways, that's pretty much all I have for this time. Kind of random, I know, but that's why it's called Tidbits! Join me next time when I address a huge question that was raised a couple of episodes ago...is Karai REALLY Splinter's daughter? Dun dun dun!! Find out why I'm skeptical in my next post!

No comments:

Post a Comment