Friday, April 19, 2013

ACT Prep & My Writing

Being a junior in high school is hard, just like they told me it would be. And here comes the hardest part of the entire year: the dreaded ACT. Teachers have been prepping us like crazy for this (specifically the English teachers, though obviously I'm not worried about the English section...) and now, finally, the entire junior class will be taking it on Tuesday morning.

Usually I do fine on tests like this. Obviously I always ace the English section, so I'm not taking any prep courses for that. I have been and still am, however, taking prep classes for the Math and Science sections. Today my math teacher gave us a practice test, during which I got 33 questions done in 30 minutes. That's not bad, considering the ACT gives you 60 minutes for 60 questions.

Last year I also took the PLAN test, which is like a preview of the ACT. When I received my scores it told me that I would most likely get anywhere between a 20 and a 22 on the real deal, which is awesome. What is even more awesome, however, is that if I get a certain score on the ACT (I think it was a 25) and maintain a cumulative GPA of 3.9 or higher, I have the opportunity to receive a full-ride scholarship to the University of Wyoming (which, I'll admit, has put even more stress on my doing well on this thing). If I don't get the desired results, however, it won't be the end of the world. I plan to go to our local community college for the first two years and then, depending on financial details, I'll transfer to UW or the University in Billings, Montana. I plan to major in English and minor in Spanish and be an author for the rest of my existence.

So, to sum up: am I worried for the ACT? Answer: Not really. I've always done well on these kinds of tests, and if I continue to take the math and science courses offered until Tuesday, I believe I will get a satisfactory score.

On top of all of that studying and prepping and homework and etc., I have also been working really hard on my current novel, "Follow the Raven." It's certainly a work in progress, but I believe I'll have things figured out soon if I keep at it. I had a friend of mine from school read the (terrible) first draft so that she and I can get together on Wednesday after school and talk about it. In the meantime, I've been working specifically with characters and plot, trying to figure out the best way to revise the story (because, sadly, there are many things that need to be fixed).

When I need a break from that project, I turn to my Sonic fanfic, "The Albion Prophecy," which is the sequel to my first book, "Everything." The latter has over 6,000 reads and has gained many votes and comments over the course of nine months. Book Two is coming along slowly because of school and whatnot, but it is still fairly popular. Once I have more time this summer I'll be able to wrap that up and work on "Follow the Raven" more as well. If you are interested in reading "The Albion Prophecy" or catching up with Book One, you can read it here: http://www.wattpad.com/user/ShadowsGirl101. Both books are available on this page. Just click on the one you want to read.

I love being an author.

Anyway, that's my hectic, chaotic, and somewhat stressful life right now. I don't think I've ever been more ready for summer vacation.

No comments:

Post a Comment