Saturday, June 28, 2014

Roof Oasis: Book Review

I FINALLY finished this book! I literally started it when I first got the copy back in May. I just have had so much other stuff going on, I never had a chance to sit down and read it like I have had this week. Before I go into my review, I want to say congrats to my grandmom on being officially published! How exciting is that? Also, I am going to be completely, 100% honest about what I think. (I liked the book, so don't worry, grandmom!)



Roof Oasis is a sci-fi / dystopian / horror novella set in the year 2051 (if I did my math correctly). It follows the lives of Michael and Lucy, 28-year-old twins, as they attempt to survive the zombie apocalypse and reunite with their alien friend from their childhood. As the plot moves along, the twins are separated, living on two different worlds as war rages on Earth. I won't give any spoilers here, but that is a basic idea of the story.

First, I want to say that while this is not a book I would normally read, I did enjoy it. The characters were interesting - not just your typical protagonists. They each had their own lives to live and challenges they had to face. The setting was familiar, the descriptions were easy to picture in your mind's eye, and the plot was constantly moving along and keeping things interesting - not a moment was wasted in this 64-page novella.

Some things I especially liked about this book are as follows: The character Razhep was unique and interesting. I always liked it when he was in a scene. I knew the locations fairly well, having visited some of them before. The logic behind the apocalypse was sound and also a bit scary, since I remember hearing about the Antarctic life discovery in my aquatic bio class last year. The Leader, as he is known, has my interest. I want to know who he is, exactly, and more about the powerful demons who work for him. (I also want to know how the protagonists are going to kick his butt later on.)

Some things I didn't prefer about this book: I don't like language in any books, no matter who wrote them, so that's one thing. Second, there was a particular scene which described children being eaten by zombies, and that grossed me out a little. I know that if something like this were to happen, it would be accurate, but that doesn't make me like it any more. Finally, while I did like the fast-moving pace of the story, there were three or four brief sections that moved along a little too fast, I think.

Overall, I would give this book 3/5 stars for a great storyline, interesting characters, and fast-moving action. If you are interested in a zombie apocalypse tale but don't have much time to read, Roof Oasis is a good place to go. Even if you do have time to read, it's a good place to go. Congrats again to my grandmom and I anxiously await Book 2! :-)

No comments:

Post a Comment