Saturday, April 18, 2015

Little Shop of Horrors Review *Minor Spoilers*

Last night I went to see my friend perform in her first college musical, "Little Shop of Horrors." Having never seen the movie (or read the book, since apparently there's a book), I had no idea what to expect other than a giant plant as a main character. Boy was I in for a treat!

But before I get into that, I want to send a big shout-out to my friend Alex, who has been in the hospital for a couple of weeks now after suffering a gunshot wound to the head. Thankfully he is expected to make a full recovery, but the family could totally use some help with paying for the medical bills and whatnot. If you could lend a hand, we would be extremely grateful. Here's a link to their GoFundMe page: http://www.gofundme.com/qxfcpw

Alex has been a friend of mine for a couple of years now, and he's always been really good at making others laugh and see the bright side of things. We're very grateful that he's still with us today. <3



Now, on to the main event.

"Little Shop of Horrors," to put it simply, is about a clumsy young man who accidentally discovers a strange new type of plant that brings in a ton of business just when his shop is about to close down. The success is welcome at first, but it doesn't take long for him to discover that there is something not quite right with this new plant, which he calls Audrey II.



A very good portion of this show was made up of singing - like, at least half of it, probably more. I personally didn't mind since I'm a musical person and the songs were fun. My friend Cassie was in the very first and very last scene and had a couple of solos, which was awesome. The two songs I enjoyed the most were "Mushnik and Son" and "Feed Me." The acting was done well. I think the most convincing was either Mushnik or Audrey II. Least convincing were the various women who kept coming on to Seymour. (Keep in mind, I saw a live performance, NOT the movie.)

This horrific, musical comedy is definitely not what I thought it would be, and it didn't end the way I thought it would, either, which is fine by me. I really appreciate unpredictable endings because they are so rare nowadays. Many people around me in the theater didn't like the ending, but I thought it was completely fitting. Plus, I liked Audrey II's character (voiced by my old high school drama director, by the way).



That's all I've got this time! Make sure you check back here next week for more nerdy posts, and please go help my friend Alex and his family during this tough time. Thank you!

No comments:

Post a Comment