Monday, April 6, 2015

Random Nerdiness

Happy Easter! I got to thinking this past week: There are a lot of topics I want to cover that won't take up an entire post on their own, so I figured, why not combine them? That being said, here are a few things I've thought about in the past couple of months that I want to talk about.

First up: SEGA's relocation and refocus. The article speaks for itself, but to sum up, SEGA is eliminating hundreds of jobs, relocating to Southern California, and refocusing from console games to mobile devices (after the success of Sonic Dash and Sonic Jump). They have since released Sonic Runners. While I'm glad more new Sonic games are coming out, I'm really upset that the company is turning away from console gaming. That's what got Sonic started in the gaming world. It's sad to me that he is now reduced to the endless Green Hill Zone on a mobile device instead of being free to roam Mobius. However, if I had to choose between that and losing Sonic entirely, I would totally choose mobile devices. The Blue Blur is part of who I am. I never want to lose him.

Something more exciting in Sonic news is the announcement of Project Tikal! The guys who created Sonic Prologue, the successful fan film (not to be confused with SONIC, the one featuring Jaleel White), are now working on a new project. I have no idea what it will be about, but the teaser photo features a sunken Angel Island and the Death Egg I, so I'm pretty pumped!

Also, SONIC THE HEDGEHOG THE MOVIE IS COMING!!!



All right. Moving on to TMNT. Specifically, Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles 2, coming June 2016. Yes, it's official, it's happening, and I'm sorry for those Shellheads out there who didn't like the first movie. (Personally, I loved it and am now a proud owner of the DVD version.) I'm sure most of you already know this, but I'm going to say it anyway: Bebop and Rocksteady have been confirmed for the second movie, as well as Casey Jones, played by Stephen Amell (aka Arrow). There's also a rumor floating around about another human female...possibly Irma? That would be kind of interesting. We'll just have to see.



Now I'm going to switch gears here and talk about something completely different for me...Guardians of the Galaxy. Specifically Karen Gillan, who played Nebula. I have seen the movie twice now, and both times I watched it I kept thinking, "Is she really right for this role?" Don't get me wrong - I love Karen Gillan. She was Amy in the Doctor Who series, and she did exceptionally well in that role. I'm just wondering if taking on the villainous Nebula was a good fit for her. The evil side of her character seemed forced and she appeared awkward in certain scenes. Perhaps it's simply because I'm so used to her playing a heroine instead of a villain, but Karen Gillain didn't really seem like a good choice for Nebula. I loved the movie, though. The battle sequences between Nebula and Gamora were awesome. I do have to admit that.



Finally...it's Camp NaNoWriMo! During April and July, campers are allowed to set their own word goal and work on any project they want instead of being limited to a 50,000 word novel. For example, last July I won Camp by writing more than 10,000 words for my fanfiction story at the time (I was still writing Sonic) after having failed the previous April session. This April, my goal is 10,000 words towards my newest fanfiction (a TMNT fic). I'm already 2,831 words into it. There has been a major hiccup in my progress due to a friend of mine recently being hospitalized, but last I heard he was stable, and as soon as I know he'll be all right I'll get back to writing.

And that's all I've got for this week! You'd better hold on to your seats, though, because I've got a pretty big nerd rant coming your way soon. You've been warned. Again, Happy Easter, and I'll see you back here next time!

No comments:

Post a Comment