Tuesday, June 23, 2015

Boom! Sonic the Hedgehog's 24th Birthday

Well guys, it's finally here! June 23 - Sonic the Hedgehog's birthday! Today marks 24 years of the Fastest Thing Alive, the hedgehog that brought light into my life seven years ago. I can't put into words how much Sonic means to me. I know those around me don't understand and probably never will, but Sonic came into my life at exactly the right time and has helped me through some really tough life changes. In seven years, he has been my one constant. I can't thank him enough for always being there when I need him.


I'm so proud to see how far Sonic has come in just one year! Since June 23, 2014, Sonic Boom has aired, a new line of merch has been released, Sonic Dash has gained 100 million downloads, and for the first time ever, the kids in my Sunday school class know exactly who Sonic the Hedgehog is. And they like him! (Duh. Who wouldn't?)

Despite the apparently terrible gameplay, the Sonic Boom games sold, and a third one is in progress right now! Sonic Boom: Fire and Ice is coming this holiday season. I suspect this game will reveal a bit more about the workings of New Mobius, but I could be wrong. The first two games had great storylines (which is what I look for in a game, being a writer) and were apparently prequels to the TV series, though I don't entirely understand how. The two are totally different. Still, Lyric was a great new villain to introduce, and Shadow was there to cause trouble as well. (I hope we see more of him in Fire and Ice.)


Meanwhile, the new TV series is doing well! Millions of people tune in to watch the Blue Blur every week. A second season of the show is even being considered. Even though only 26 episodes have aired (half of Season 1), we have learned much about the way New Mobius works versus Mobius Prime. Both Mobians and non-Mobians alike can appreciate the humor, adventure, and action in every episode. I can't wait to see more once they finally air again.

In addition to that, a Sonic the Hedgehog movie was announced late last year and is in production as we speak. It will most likely be live action / CGI, though that has not been confirmed yet. Also, it has been rumored that there may be some Sonic Boom movies coming our way as well! That would be so amazing.

As far as gaming, Sonic has recently made the switch to mobile devices, though console games are not ruled out entirely. Sonic Dash, Jump, and Runners have been received extremely well, with Dash gaining over 100 million downloads (and I was one of them)! Each of these games are actually games, not just an endless time killer as many seem to believe. Dash actually has missions to complete, which get you Red Star Rings and bonuses for your overall score. These Red Star Rings can help you buy characters (I'm aiming for Shadow right now - 29/60 complete!) and other prizes. Players actually run through three different zones and face two different bosses. The levels get increasingly more difficult depending on your skill level. Dash was the first to usher in a new age of Sonic gaming, bringing a fresh perspective and appreciation of Sonic and his friends.


Sonic is slowly but surely gaining popularity. Shortly after Sonic Boom aired last November, the kids I teach in Sunday school began to recognize the hedgehog I advertise 24/7 and can now talk to me about the show and their favorite characters. Kids at VBS this summer recognized him as well. It makes me so happy to see the next generation of Mobians rising up. I'm also excited for the new line of Sonic merch that is coming soon. More items to collect, more shirts to wear! (As of right now I only have one Boom shirt.)

The Fastest Thing Alive has come a long way. Even though he and his friends and his world are now changing to reach the kids of today, Sonic is still Sonic, and he is still my one constant. He means so, so much to me. And he is NOT DEAD. For a while I thought he was winding down, reaching the point where he would fade into legend as a great gaming icon. But the introduction of the Boom universe and mobile games have given him the kick in the pants he needed to make his great comeback. Sonic the Hedgehog lives on - 24 years and counting! I cannot wait for more episodes, more games, the movie, and everything else that is coming. SONIC IS NOT DEAD. Take that, non-Mobians. You know who you are.

Happy birthday, Sonic. I love you so much. Celebrating 24 years of the greatest thing that's ever happened to me, I'm up, over, and GONE!!


No comments:

Post a Comment