Thursday, June 11, 2015

Sonic Tidbits #1: Silver, ShadAmy, and Endless Possibilities (100th Post!)

Hello everyone! Welcome back to another Sonic-centered post! This week I am introducing a brand-new type of discussion called "Sonic Tidbits" in which I briefly cover a variety of topics that all relate to the Blue Blur, his friends, and his world. Let's go!

I'm going to start off with a rant. Sorry, but I'd rather get the negative out of the way first. Recently there was a short film posted online titled "The Hedgehog." You may have heard of it. If not, I'm not going to post a link for you to go watch it. To summarize the basic idea, "The Hedgehog" is about a boy who wanders around an empty town in a Sonic costume, sees a man in a field, follows him home, and starts going through the his things while the man commits suicide in another room. My complaint about this film is that they involved Sonic in it when it has nothing to do with him whatsoever. The kid goes around in a Sonic costume for unexplained reasons, and for another unexplained reason, the man has two Sonic dolls in his home. He holds one of them as he commits suicide. This film made Sonic look like a bad guy, which really irks me. Sonic is not to blame for the man's death; however, the filmmakers certainly implied that he was. That is unacceptable.

And that's all I'm going to say about it because just thinking back on it makes me want to punch a hole in the wall, and I watched this two months ago. Ugh.

Anyway, on to a lighter topic: SILVER!! You know, I got to thinking a while back, why did Silver get sidelined so badly? He's only ever been a major character in one game (Sonic 2006), and while I agree that the gameplay was horrible, Silver was not. He was a great character, and tons of fangirls love him even today. He needs to make a comeback! Seriously! Even Charmy has made more appearances than Silver has (and, sorry, Charmy is kind of a pointless character in the games). I know that Silver is a major part of the comics right now, but it's not enough. He should come back at least as a walk-on role or SOMETHING. Give him some speaking lines - an important part to play. Have him deliver a vital message, jump out of nowhere and save the day, anything. Just please bring him back. He deserves it, and it's not fair that he has been kicked to the curb simply because his premiere game was a gameplay fail. (Plus, it would give his new voice actor something to actually, y'know, SAY.)


Let's talk about Sonic Boom for a minute. I actually have two things to address here. First and foremost, where are the Chao? Tons of Sonic fans love the Chao and really miss the Gardens in the games. When it was announced that the Chaos Emeralds were not going to be part of the Boom universe, I automatically knew the Chao were being ditched also, since the two are connected. But since I realized that the Chaos Emeralds may still be around after all (I'll be posting about this next week - finally), it got me wondering about where the Chao are. Now, I'm not saying that they actually exist in the Boom universe. I may be totally wrong about that. BUT if they did, where would they be? My guess is that since we really don't see much outside of Bygone Island in the TV show, there's a really good chance that they are out there somewhere waiting to be discovered. Mobius is a pretty big place - who knows what kind of amazing things are beyond the island? In the Boom games we do see Sonic and his friends branch out a little, but with an important mission to focus on, they don't really have time to just explore their world. They may have walked right past a Chao Garden - or even a Chaos Emerald! - and not even known it. Now that Lyric has been defeated and with Eggman only a minor threat, I wonder if Sonic and his friends will ever think, "Hey, remember that one place we went? We should go back for a visit" and then just explore from there. It would be really cool to see more of New Mobius and what it has to offer.


My second topic concerning Boom is this: ShadAmy (Shadow x Amy, for you non-Mobians out there). Don't ask why, but when Boom first started airing and after the two games came out, I had this thought in the back of my mind: "I bet there's gonna be some ShadAmy in this new series." Honestly, I have no idea why I thought that. Maybe it had something to do with Shattered Crystal, when Amy had been captured and Sonic assumed Shadow was working with Lyric. Shadow was pretty quick to defend himself and then go after Lyric on his own. I know that was mostly because of his pride, but it still made me wonder if it had anything to do with him possibly liking Amy in this series. (Just to be clear, I'm not a ShadAmy fan. As I explained last month, I'm SonAmy all the way.) Having seen more of Boom now, I'm pretty sure the creators will stick with SonAmy, and Shadow will stand alone as he normally does. But even though Shadow has reverted back to his I-can-kick-all-of-your-butts-without-anyone's-help attitude, there is still a lot we don't know about him in the Boom universe. (Again, I'll be going more in-depth on this next week.) Just some food for thought.


Finally, "Endless Possibilities." I've mentioned this once before, but I've gained many more readers since then, so I want to bring it up a second time because it's important to me. The title of this blog, as you've probably noticed, is "Endless Possibilities." I chose this name in part because there is no limit to the type of content I post on this blog. But mostly, I named it after one of my favorite songs by the same name - the theme for the game Sonic Unleashed. This song meant a lot to me as I journeyed through high school and still means a lot to me now. Its lyrics are just what I need sometimes. Sonic is, always has been, and always will be my inspiration. I love him more than words can describe. If you want to listen to the song (and I encourage you to do so), click here.


That's it for this week! Check back here on Friday, June 19 for a very special and thought-provoking post about my Chaos Emerald theory in relation to Sonic Boom. You might be surprised! Celebrating 24 years of Sonic the Hedgehog, I'm up, over, and GONE!!

1 comment: