Friday, May 15, 2015

SonAlly vs. SonAmy - Whose Side Am I On?

It's a huge, huge debate among Mobians - Sonic x Sally (SonAlly) or Sonic x Amy Rose (SonAmy)? For some, the choice is obvious. Sally was around first, she's original, so she is the right one. But Amy was created for the next generation, and her relationship with Sonic is canon now, so she's the right one. People get into huge fights over this, which I think is silly, but I can understand both sides. (There are also Sonic x Mina, Sonic x Fiona, Sonic x Bunnie, etc. fans, but we're not going to get into that here.)



First, a little background on each character.

Sally's full name is Princess Sally Alicia Acorn. She was introduced in the early 1990s in the TV show Sonic SatAM (Saturday Morning) as well as in the comics. Her relationship with Sonic is obvious right off the bat. He clearly likes her, and she finds him frustrating but lovable. In the SatAM episodes "Hooked on Sonics" and "The Doomsday Project," they even kiss on screen (for a long time, too!). Sally is portrayed as a tomboyish princess with no regard for personal modesty (until the past year or so) who has a stubborn, independent air about her. She is the leader of the Freedom Fighters and apparent heir to the throne of the Acorn Kingdom. (The comics have really jumbled things around recently, so I don't entirely know what's going on in the hierarchy right now.) Sally is about eighteen years old and is a very organized, well-rounded leader, though she does seem to have a lot of breakdown moments. Despite that, Sonic has adored her from the beginning. He marries her in the 25/30 Years Later Sagas. They have kids together. OBVIOUSLY these two were meant to be.


And then there's Amy Rose. Introduced as a crazed fangirl who simply could not contain herself or keep out of harm's way, her character has really matured over the years into a beautiful, confident, still love-struck seventeen year old (though now she is much better at keeping her love for Sonic in check). In the comics as well as the games and TV shows, Amy was shown to be obsessed with him from the get-go, often going to absurd lengths just to get him to notice her. Sonic was often annoyed with her constant nagging and went to even more absurd lengths to get away from her. However, as she has gotten older (mostly in the comics), Amy has greatly matured. While she still loves Sonic like no other, she is less vocal and crazed about it and is perfectly capable of spending large amounts of time away from him without complaining. Sonic Boom has made SonAmy canon, with the two sharing a mutual liking for one another. (They even go on dates from time to time.) "Now that it's canon, there's no stopping the SonAmy crowd!" SonAlly fans say.


So...whose side am I on?

For the LONGEST time, I was on the fence about this. I grew up watching Sonic X, which of course starred Amy Rose. I didn't even know an older version of Sonic existed until later, and when I learned there was a Sally I didn't like her much to begin with. But as I started growing as a Mobian, I learned to like Sally's character and her relationship with Sonic as well. Any time it came into question as to who Sonic should be with, I was always neutral. I simply couldn't make up my mind.

Well, seven years later, I have finally decided on SonAmy.

And before you explode on me, let me explain why. Amy, as I mentioned before, was the one I knew about first. I grew up watching her in Sonic X. But aside from that, now that I am a full-fledged Mobian, I have had the opportunity to look at both sides of this debate and draw my own conclusions. Yes, Sally was around first, and Sonic does like her, but now that Amy is more mature than she was and serious about the Great War, he likes her as well. He likes her independent, confident, I'll-kick-your-butt-if-you-mess-with-me attitude, which Sally is sorely lacking right now. Amy is a great character with a great personality. In addition to that, she is a hedgehog just like Sonic. I KNOW many Mobians cross-breed, and I'm totally fine with that, but I think it's nice to stay in the same species every now and then. (Look at Sonic's parents - both of them were hedgehogs!) Finally, SonAmy is now considered canon. That really didn't have anything to do with my decision; it was Amy's rebooted character that did it for me. She has really come a long way over the years, and there is plenty of proof that Sonic likes her in the comics, games, and TV shows. (For the record, Amy has now been in two TV series. Sally was only in one, and it was on the air for much less time.)


So there you have it, folks! I've made my choice: Sonic x Amy for me. That doesn't mean I don't like Sally or will be irritated when he continues to date/marry her in the comics. I like her just fine. I'm just not a SonAlly fan, that's all. I also would like to point out that the girls are perfectly fine with each other, too. Amy isn't bitter that Sally gets all of Sonic's affection; she just wants to see him happy. Sally was the one who made Amy a Freedom Fighter. The two of them are friends, just like SonAlly and SonAmy fans should be friends. Mobians may not agree on everything, but we always agree on one thing - we love Sonic, just like Sally and Amy do!

10 comments: