Sunday, May 31, 2015

The Kinds of Books I Want to Write (May Book Wrap-Up)

Holy crap, where did this month go? I feel like May just breezed on by. The first half of this month I was really focused on finishing my first year of college, and the weeks following that were basically me just chilling out, reading, writing, and going to baseball games. I feel rather proud of myself, because I actually read five books this month, and I'm AHEAD of my reading goal on Goodreads for the first time all year! Booyakasha!

Writing
I didn't get as much writing as I'd like done this month, but considering that I just came out of Camp NaNo and was preoccupied with finals week for the first half of May, I don't think it was a total loss. My goal was to write four chapters of my story and I wrote three. Not terrible! The nightmare scene that I talked about last month was received extremely well - I have more comments on that chapter than any other for this story. Readers either liked the dark route I took, the semi-romantic moment that followed, or both. My current stats for "Dude, This is No Vacation" are as follows: 2,870 reads; 234 votes; and 60 comments. It's really interesting to look back after a month has passed and realize just how much can happen in that time.

In addition to my fanfiction, I've taken some time to consider my real writing as well, since I've been sorely lacking in that area as of late. I do have my reasons for that, but it finally came to my attention that even though I would love for "Follow the Raven" to be my first published novel, it may be time to think about the possibility of that not happening. Perhaps another one of my stories is destined to be first - like "Escape to Utopia" (my NaNoWriMo 2014 novel) or even one I haven't written yet. Who knows? Nothing is set in stone. For now I'm going to keep my options open and see what happens.

Reading
Like I said earlier, I actually read five books this month instead of just four, which put me ahead of my reading goal for the first time this year. Yes, it's a small lead, but it's still a lead! After epically failing this month's Crush Your TBR, something just kick-started in me and I was like, "OK now, seriously, it's time to start reading." So here's what I read this month:


Going Postal was recommended to me by my friend, who is an avid Terry Pratchett fan. When in Barnes and Noble one evening, I asked him, "If you could choose just one of his books for me to read, which one would it be?" He instantly picked up Going Postal. All I have to say is this: Terry Pratchett was a genius.

Son of the Mob was a surprisingly intelligent read, considering the book is often found in the kid's section as well as YA. I learned a lot about the Mob and enjoyed a unique love story all at once, so it was pretty good all-around. The Fix-Up Service was interesting mostly because it was written in 1985 (30 years ago), and MY GOODNESS how times have changed! The girls in the book were appalled at the thought of calling a boy, whereas today we don't give it a second thought. Also, cordless phones were the latest and greatest things at the time, and today those are seen as totally old-school. It was kind of neat to take a look into what life was like for my parents when they were about my age.

The Kinds of Books I Want to Write
I've known I would be a writer for a long time. I was in third grade when I wrote my first story, and over the years since then I've experimented with different genres and writing styles, alternating between first and third person, trying on everything from romance to science fiction. Over time I've come to discover that my best work usually falls into the fantasy or sci-fi categories, and I write best in either limited or omniscient third person. My style of writing is unique, as is my voice. Most of the time I don't really sit down to think about these things, but every once in a while, I take the time to consider what I want my readers to gain from my stories. The kinds of books I want to write and share with the world.

From my beginnings with "Sarah and Hope," I have almost always focused my stories on friendship above everything else. Looking back on things now, it's truly amazing to see how many of the stories I wrote focused on friendship rather than romance. The genres vary; what started as realistic fiction quickly morphed into fantasy, but the message is still the same. "Follow the Raven" is about two girls who become friends and fight for each other. "Escape to Utopia" is about two strangers who work together to save the solar system, becoming companions in the process. Even my fanfiction emphasizes the importance of having true friends around. I didn't set out to do this when I started writing, but the theme is there in every one of my books and novels. (Maybe that explains why I love My Little Pony so much.)

I've mentioned in previous blog posts that sometimes I'll pick up a book and just know that I'm destined to love it even before I read the first sentence. This is a rare occurrence, but I think it's interesting to look back and realize that both Skulduggery Pleasant and The True Meaning of Smekday are centered around friendship. Some of my favorite books in elementary school were that way as well (ie. The School Story).

All that being said, I think it's obvious where I'm going with this. I had no idea the stories I wrote would all be centered around the same theme. I didn't even realize it until just recently. I also didn't put two and two together as to why I favor some books over others. 90% of the books on my favorites shelf are focused on the idea that friendship is magic (yes, MLP reference, get over it). I'm not going to get all stereotypical and say that "I want my books to encourage readers to be friends with everyone around them" and blah blah blah. That's not it at all. But what I am saying is this: I want my readers to finish my novels and come away with the same warm feeling I have when I read books like those I've mentioned above. There's just something about those types of stories that stands out. Why do you think Skulduggery Pleasant and The True Meaning of Smekday are so popular? The latter was recently made into a movie, which was also received extremely well. Think about Big Hero 6. Heck, even Frozen was about the bond between sisters.

Friendship is important. It makes the world go 'round, if you think about it. And I want my readers to read my books and feel as though they've just made a new friend.

...Well, this post got real cheesy real quick. Don't worry - adventure, action, mystery, suspense, and even a touch of romance await you in my novels as well! And that's all I have for this month! But stick around...something special is coming your way in June. Stay tuned for that! See you next month. :D

1 comment: