Monday, May 25, 2015

Memorial Day Weekend Haul

This weekend my family and I went out of town, and I came back with so many cool things (mostly Sonic related, not gonna lie). I am beyond excited about it all, so I figured I'd share the nerdiness with you! Before I get into that, though, I forgot to mention in last week's blog that my parents bought me a Nintendo DS Lite with four games as a first-year completion gift. One of those four games is a collection of Classic Sonic titles. I've been going crazy playing Sonic 3 as well as Sonic Battle. I've had Battle sitting on my shelf of games for almost two years and now I finally have the platform for it! Patience pays off! :-)


First, on Wednesday I finally received the the three graphic novels I'd ordered from the Sonic Super Store when they were having their huge sale. They came on a day when I was in a lot of pain, too, so it made the whole ordeal worth it. In this package I received Sonic Select #3, Sonic Select #9, and Sonic Legacy #3. SS#3 is about the rise of Mammoth Mogul and the return of King Maximilian, which is super exciting. When Sonic SatAM ended, the king was still trapped in the void, so I'm curious to see how he got himself out of there. SS#9 is about various Sonic games, such as Dark Brotherhood and Dash. (And although Shadow is on the cover, he is not in the actual novel. Kind of misleading, but I'll live.) Finally, SL#3 is a 500-page collector's novel that tells several stories, from the first appearance of Hershey Cat to the first Metal Sonic to the first introduction of the Chaotix. A lot of firsts! I can't wait!


This past week I also received my E+J shirt to support Ellie and Jared on YouTube. If you don't know who they are, go check them out! They just had their second baby this weekend and he is so precious. I can't wait to see how their lives are going to change now that he is here.

On the day their baby was born, my family and I went out of town as we sometimes do to just get away from things. While in the city I always make sure to go to three places: Hastings, the mall, and Barnes and Noble. Hastings was a Sonic jackpot this weekend. I was so lucky to get what I did! From there I purchased Sonic Select #1 (which is completely sold out online), Sonic Boom #5 (the LAST one on the shelf), and my very first Sonic air freshener for my car! Strawberry scent! :-)


I visited my usual stores within the mall: JCPenny's, Spencer's, and Hot Topic. Despite the new line of Sonic toys and apparel that was just released, the only thing I found (and bought) was a really unique shirt featuring Classic Sonic characters. It was only after I got home and was removing the tags that I discovered it is a collector's edition t-shirt. Heck yeah!

Finally, Barnes and Noble. I'd say a good 80% of the time I spent in the store was me trying to find Connor Franta's A Work in Progress. I searched for it for a while upon entering the store, and when I didn't find it I figured I'd just browse and eventually run into it. Just when I was about to give up and ask for help, I found it in the biography section. It is a memoir, so it makes sense. I ended up leaving Barnes and Noble with that and another book I'd found while browsing that I'm super excited to read. (My TBR has grown to about 14 books now.)


In addition to all the cool events and things I found, my town's high school had its graduation ceremony yesterday. I went for my friend Katie, who has been the only person to stick with me the entire six years I've lived here. It was so cool to see her get her diploma. It was also really touching to hear my other friend Alex's name called. He is in a hospital in Denver right now recovering from a gunshot wound to the head. This was the first high school graduation I've attended besides my own. Also, for the record, one year ago today is when I graduated. Hard to believe I've made new friends, written an entire novel, and finished my first year of college in that time! It's amazing what you can do when you set your mind to it.

All in all, it's been a great weekend! I'm excited to read my new books and graphic novels as well as enjoy some time with my family. This will be my last full week off before I begin my summer class in June, and I plan to utilize it as much as possible. Hope your Memorial Day weekend has been awesome! Check back here next week for my May book wrap-up! :D

No comments:

Post a Comment