Thursday, May 7, 2015

Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles 2: What to Expect

So I was planning on posting this tomorrow. But as it turns out, our Internet will be MIA all day tomorrow, so I'm going to go ahead and do this now. Why not, right?

All right. Whether you like it or not, Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles 2 is filming as we speak. It was announced two days after the release of the first movie last summer, with a date already in mind: June 3, 2016. (I'll be going to opening night again, for sure.) I personally loved the first movie despite all it's flaws, and I'm super excited for this new one because it shows a lot of promise. Whether you loved it or loathed it, here is everything I know concerning the next movie in Michael Bay's TMNT series. (Ick, that sounds so wrong.)


First off, CASEY JONES CONFIRMED! We pretty much already knew that he would be in the second film based on the fact that he's a fan favorite, but it was so exciting to hear his character confirmed. Stephen Amell has been cast as the hockey mask-wearing vigilante, and from what I can tell, he is a good fit for the character. (I had never heard of him before, but I sought out some scenes from "Arrow" to kind of familiarize myself with him.) There has already been a photo released of him on set as Casey Jones...and if my eyes aren't playing tricks with me, that's Raphael's sai there. You know what that means!!


Bebop and Rocksteady have also been confirmed for the second movie. This will be the first time these mutants will appear in a live-action film. I'm curious to see who will be cast for these two, as well as what they will look like once all the CGI stuff is finished. I hope they turn out well. I know they were idiots in the 1987 show, but they are amazing villains in the 2012 series. Here's hoping they will be awesome in the movie as well! (The following photo is UNOFFICIAL concept art.)


Tyler Perry has been cast as Baxter Stockman, the scientific mastermind / humble servant of Shredder (depending on which series you watch). I'm curious as to how his character will fit in to the new movie. Also, will he become a fly? If he does, that would kind of be pushing the mutant limit for me, personally. Slow down, Bay! You can only introduce so many mutants at once!

Finally, Brian Tee has been cast as the official Shredder for the TMNT movie franchise. There was a Shredder in the first movie, of course, but we never really saw his face and it was very obvious he was only there for reshoots. William Fitchner was originally going to be the Shredder, but there was a Nerd Uprising that led Michael Bay to change his character to Eric Sacks instead. (Again, I beg the question: Why was Eric Sacks even there?) I've heard a lot of good things about Brian Tee, especially as a villain, so I'm excited to see how he portrays Shredder's character. He looks the part, too, which helps.

(On a side note, Alessandra Ambrosio has joined the cast as a mystery female character. She is currently credited as "Vernon's girlfriend." Maybe...Irma?? Just spitballing here. I know she doesn't look anything like Irma.)

In addition to new characters / new cast members, the Battle Shell has also been confirmed for TMNT 2, with the words "Tartaruga Brothers" written on the side. Tartaruga is Italian for "tortoise." Here is a picture of the vehicle:


I saved this for last because I JUST found out about it and I'm not 100% sure that it's been confirmed, but...HUN?! Apparently C.M. Punk auditioned for the role, but I haven't heard that Hun is going to be in this second movie. I hadn't even considered it. I've been so distracted with all the other new characters. Hun?! If this is true, I am SO EXCITED. Hun is one of my favorite bad guys. He was just introduced to the 2012 series, too. It would be so cool to see him on the big screen.

And that's all I've got for now! I will keep you informed as more develops. I am super excited for this movie, mostly because of Casey Jones. I'm hoping this second film will fill in a lot of the plot holes that were dug in the first movie, too, because there were a lot of them. Staying optimistic! :-)

No comments:

Post a Comment