Thursday, June 23, 2016

Sonic's 25th Anniversary: Sonic Boom Season 1 Review + Hopes for Season 2

Today is Sonic the Hedgehog's 25th Anniversary!! What! It's so crazy to think how far he's come over the years, and just how different my life would have been were he not in it. For eight years now he has been the one constant in my ever-changing world, and I will always love him for being there for me when no one else was. Even recently he has gotten me through some very tough times as I prepare to leave home for the first time...but more about that later. Today is about SONIC. Specifically, Sonic Boom.


This post is SO overdue; like, I really should have written it in November or December kind of overdue. But I figured hey, it's Sonic's birthday, Sonic Boom is what's happening now, why not use this opportunity to finally bring you all my official review of the Sonic Boom TV series?

Today I'll cover my favorite episodes of Season 1 and also give a list of my favorite-favorite episodes, as well as give a general overview of my thoughts on the series as a whole. Then I'll go into my hopes for Season 2. Its air date approaches! :D

My favorite episodes from Sonic Boom, Season 1:

  • 3: Translate This
  • 9: Guilt Tripping
  • 11: Cow Bot
  • 12: Circus of Plunder
  • 13: Unlucky Knuckles
  • 14: The Meteor
  • 19: Sole Power
  • 22: Curse of the Buddy Buddy Temple
  • 24: Late Fees
  • 25: Into the Wilderness
  • 26: Eggman Unplugged
  • 28: Blue With Envy
  • 37: Next Top Villain
  • 39: Battle of the Boy Bands
  • 42: Late Night Wars
  • 44: It Wasn't Me, It Was the One-Armed Hedgehog
  • 48: Designated Heroes
  • 50: Cabin Fever
  • 51: Counter Productive
  • 52: It Takes a Village to Defeat a Hedgehog

...wow. I actually had more favorites than I thought I did! Keep in mind I mark them as favorite immediately after watching them 90% of the time, and it's been a while since I've seen some of these. But most of them I remember especially liking.

Translate This was an episode I enjoyed I think mostly for the SonAmy moments. (I've written a blog post about why I finally chose to ship SonAmy...you can read it here.) It was just the beginning of a long string of moments that proved Sonic likes Amy just as much as she likes him for the first time in Sonic cartoon history. I especially loved this moment:


Unlucky Knuckles can arguably be one of my favorite-favorite episodes, too, though I haven't yet marked it as such. I LOVE this episode!! It makes me laugh every single time. Poor Knuckles...I hate what they've done to his IQ in this series, but you have to admit it does provide for some funny moments, like this one:


I went into much more detail about why The Meteor was one of my favorite episodes here, but to summarize I thought it was a great body-swap episode as well as a very informative one. My official theory - and I still hold to this - was that the Meteor was actually a shard of the Shattered Crystal. Whether that is true remains to be seen, since Lyric never did show up in Season 1 like I thought he might. 

Blue With Envy was awesome for two reasons. One: Swifty the Shrew. Two: Sonic's reaction to Switfty. I had an extra layer of fangirling going on while I was watching this episode because Swifty's voice actor was Robbie Rist, who played Michelangelo in the 1990 live action TMNT movie (and who currently voices Mondo Gecko in TMNT 2012). I loved that Sonic had a challenger that is brand-new to the Boom franchise, and I loved that Sonic didn't even freak out or become angry or defensive when Swifty claimed to be faster than him. Instead Sonic just looked at him and said matter-of-factly, "You're not faster than me." (Insert fangirl squeal here.) :D


My favorite-favorite episodes from Season 1:
  • 24: Late Fees
  • 39: Battle of the Boy Bands
  • 44: It Wasn't Me, It Was the One-Armed Hedgehog
  • 52: It Takes a Village to Defeat a Hedgehog

I also went into more detail as to why Late Fees was one of my faves here. To this day I adore this episode. It teaches us so much about Sonic's character and world - and we haven't seen another like it since!

Battle of the Boy Bands!! Oh my gosh, I needed this episode in my life and didn't even know it. Forget Justin Bieber (or Justin Beaver) or One Direction or 5SOS...Dreamboat Express is the only boy band I will ever be a die-hard fan of! The best part was...Sonic and co. actually SANG!! I loved this episode.


It Wasn't Me, It Was the One-Armed Hedgehog. Let me set the scene for you: it's a standard weekend. A new Sonic Boom episode is going to air. Because I do everything I can to avoid spoilers, I don't know what it is called or what it will entail. I just know it's coming. The title gives nothing away. And then it happens: first, Hipster Sonic becomes canon, complete with nerdy glasses. Then, METAL SONIC shows up in a TV SHOW!!! WHAT!!! I don't think I screamed so much in my life. I literally shrieked and threw my laptop when I jumped up because I was so excited. (Nothing was broken, thankfully.) Then I went back and relived that glorious moment over and over and over before I finally allowed myself to continue on with the episode.


AND THEN. The moment I'd been waiting for all season...SHADOW. THE. HEDGEHOG. I must have talked about dying for his arrival every week! I know I posted at least three times here on Endless Possibilities about wanting him to show up. Then, in Sonic Boom's first season finale, he arrived. And it was everything I hoped for and more!! I ADORE this version of Shadow. He has reverted back to his original dark, edgy, villainous character, and I love that he straight-up dissed Eggman for being so awful (because really, Boom's Eggman is not anywhere near the quality of previous Eggmans). The fight scene between him and Sonic, while brief, was the greatest 30 seconds of my life. That eleven-minute episode was worth the year-long wait. I can't wait to see more of Shadow now that he's finally arrived! Even if I have to wait for the Season 2 finale to see him again, IT WILL BE WORTH IT.


And that leads me into my next segment: my hopes for Sonic Boom Season 2.

I think it's safe to assume that Season 2 will probably be very similar to Season 1 in the kid-oriented, simple storyline sense. However I really, really hope that the producers decide to take Sonic and co. beyond Bygone Island and explore more of Mobius. In the games we've seen several unique locations that would be cool to see in more depth in the TV show. (I especially want to see more of Boom's version of the Chemical Waste Zone.) 

It would be awesome if they could expand on the characters' back-stories a little more. We've heard mention that Knuckles is not native to Bygone Island, which opens the door for at least one episode to be about his homeland and how he got to be where he is. I would love to know more about Sticks. We know she's a jungle badger who lived in isolation for years, but how long? What was it like for her when she met Sonic and co. for the first time? How old is she? It would be neat to have Lyric show up as a villain, though I'm not sure what the chances are of that happening. It would be fantastic to have Metal Sonic show up again as an even bigger threat than before. But above all (you guys know), I WANT MORE SHADOW. 

I am dying to know Shadow's backstory in the Boom universe. I've talked about my theories concerning his age and powers here, but at least one of those was proven wrong a few episodes after its original posting when it was confirmed that Eggman is actually still middle-aged instead of in his mid-twenties like I thought. But that's beside the point. Who the heck is Shadow the Hedgehog? For non-Mobians, this character just randomly showed up at the VERY last moment and kicked more butt in 30 seconds than all of the other villains over the course of the entire series combined, and then he was gone. Why did Eggman make such a big deal out of his arrival in the show? What is his relation to Eggman? Shadow obviously dislikes him, but he stuck around and "suffered his presence" despite not liking him. Why? How does he already know Sonic? Is Maria involved in this universe at all? SO MANY QUESTIONS!!


Long story short, I am excited for Season 2 no matter what it brings, but I really hope that they decide to expand on the world and characters a little bit more this time around. And gosh dang it, Shadow had better be in at least ONE episode this season. You know he's the reason people are going to come back for more this fall.

All that being said...

Sonic the Hedgehog has given me so much and taught me so many things, and he continues to do so to this day. I am very grateful that he is a part of my life. That will never change. Happy birthday, Sonic - here's to 25 more years. <3 <3 


No comments:

Post a Comment