Sunday, November 20, 2016

NaNoWriMo 2016 Update #2

This has been the easiest NaNoWriMo I have done so far. I think it certainly helps that I'm not in school (aka not writing fifteen thousand essays in addition to an entire novel), but most of it I think comes from writing a story I've wanted to write forever and didn't even know it. Now that I've written so many novels and have an array to choose from for publication, I've started to shift my focus on trying new genres and playing around with my style and voice. That's what I'm doing this month. It's my second attempt at New Adult Crime Fiction, but I'm trying so many new things I can't even list them all. The story itself is a mess and way, WAY worse than last year's, but I'm having fun with it and that's what matters to me right now. (Not to say that there isn't a serious plot, because there is; it's just all over the place at the moment.)

As soon as I recovered from being sick my word count shot up rapidly, and for a couple of days I was actually ahead. Then I fell into a more steady pace of being right on track, and now I'm sitting at just a couple of days behind. I intend to use my Thanksgiving break to pull ahead and win this sucker - possibly even a few days early since I'm not going for the 30-days badge anymore. (If you follow me on Twitter you know why.) I'm looking forward to the epic climax and wrapping up this story with a major development in my protagonist. If I end up writing any more Jenkins and Smith adventures in the future, they are certainly going to be a much crazier ride because of the events of this book.

It's all downhill from here, guys! The 30,000's don't even scare me this year.

I am currently at 29,139 words.

No comments:

Post a Comment