Wednesday, March 25, 2015

TMNT Battle for New York *Spoilers*

Not gonna lie - I was not expecting this episode. I didn't know it was coming, I hadn't seen promos or heard anything about it, so when Andre mentioned it at the end of his review of Episode 11, I had a major fangirl moment and threw all other plans of getting enough sleep out the window in order to watch it early (thanks, nick.com!)

OH. MY. GOSH. There is so much awesome in this hour-long special! For real! I almost couldn't handle it all!

First off, the Mighty Mutanimals. (Kind of a cheesy name, but y'know...) I wasn't at all surprised to see Slash and Leatherhead return. It was so good to see Slash again. I really love his character. What did surprise me was the return of Pigeon Pete and Doctor Rockwell (characters we haven't seen since Season 1). I noticed right away that Rockwell's voice sounded familiar, but it wasn't until the end of the first part that I realized it was Tom Kenny - the voice of Gibson from SRMTHFG! (And Spongebob, since no one else reading this blog knows what the heck SRMTHFG! is.) It was so cool to hear Tom doing his Gibson voice again. As for Pigeon Pete, I was completely thrown off-guard by his reappearance. I'm not a huge fan of his character, but who knows? I might be surprised a few episodes down the road. As for Kurtsman, their benefactor...how is he not dead? He was shot in the back and somehow only walked away with a broken arm? I don't buy it.



Should I save the fangirl moment for the end? Nah, I'll just do it now - WAS THAT MONA LISA?!?! Ohhhh my gosh. I didn't even notice the first time through, but when I re-watched it with my brother about a week later I saw it and had to pause the video and take it in and proceed to run around the house sqee-ing. Now, I know she looks kind of...weird. BUT I think it was Mona for a couple of reasons. 1) Why would that picture be thrown in there randomly like that? 2) Raph totally liked what he saw. You know he did. 3) The fans have been begging for Mona to show up at some point. I think that was her first appearance! Of course, I can't confirm it, but I'm telling you, that had to have been Mona Lisa. Either that or - ugh - Venus, and I KNOW they wouldn't dare put her in the show. There would be an uprising.



THE TURTLE BLIMP made its first appearance, too! Cowabunga!!

Now for the big question: Was this episode the end of the Kraang?

Hear me out. I know they probably aren't gone for good (although I think Kraang Sub-Prime is toast now), but the way the plot unfolded and wrapped up in this episode made me think, "All right. That's it. No more Kraang." Reason being, their mutagen missile was stopped, every human they'd captured was returned to Earth, and they were all returned to Dimension X. And in the episode following this one, they are not around at all. All we see is whatever they left behind. I felt like this was a good way to wrap up the Kraang issue and focus soley on the Shredder and Karai and HUN (OMG YES) from now on. I understand that they have the rest of this season and a whole fourth season to go, but I was really getting a "this is it" vibe from "Battle for New York." Was this the end of the Kraang? I think it was.

That's all I've got this time, folks. Next week will be a reading / writing wrap-up for March. Stay tuned, and as always, BOOYAKASHA!! (Leo is now the only one who hasn't said it, btw. Watch closely at the end of "Battle for New York.")


No comments:

Post a Comment