Thursday, March 5, 2015

Spock: Remembering Leonard Nimoy

I discovered Star Trek through my parents. When I was in grade school, they would sometimes send my brother and myself to do our thing while they watched The Next Generation in the living room. Little do they know (or maybe they do and just never said anything), I would sometimes sit on the staircase behind them and watch as well. I didn't know what it was, but I had the theme memorized and it looked neat.

A few years later, I re-discovered Star Trek when the 2009 movie was announced. My parents decided to let my brother and I watch some of TNG with them, and it became the show that introduced me to science fiction. Soon after, I was trying my hand at writing it (a skill I'm still working on, since science really isn't my thing).

It wasn't until the 2009 movie came out that I discovered Spock (played by Zachary Quinto). I liked his character right away. Then it came to that scene in on the ice planet when Kirk was chased into a cave, and Leonard Nimoy was introduced, and my parents told me he was the original Spock. I was intrigued enough to look up some of The Original Series later, and though I didn't entirely care for William Shatner as Kirk, I still really liked the Vulcan.



Then I went on a Star Trek cruise for a while before coming back around to Sonic like I always do. But in that time, I grew to really identify with Spock and enjoy all of his screen time. I even checked out some Star Trek books from the library that were specifically about him just so I could get a deeper glimpse into his character.

Leonard Nimoy was an amazing actor. He lived long and prospered. It was a very sad day in my house when we heard of his passing. Hopefully Zachary Quinto will be able to carry on the legacy that Nimoy started.


No comments:

Post a Comment