Thursday, May 22, 2014

The Last Last Days

Well, that's all, folks! I did it. I am finished with high school from this day forward.

Today has been very emotional for me. I had to say goodbye to my favorite teachers and some friends I will probably not see again for a very long time, if I see them again at all. In light of all that, I want to take a moment to look back on how I thought this year would go - way back in August of 2013 when I posted "The Last First Days."

I thought that my choir classes would be awesome, and I was totally right. Halfway through the year in Mixed Choir, my teacher asked me to sing alto for the first time because she knew I had the experience and ability to help out the girls who were struggling on the other side of the room. Until that point I had never really thought about what it was like to sing alto, but once I got over there I realized it's harder than you think! Plus, holy cow, all the girls over there were SO much nicer than the sopranos. What an experience! I loved every minute.

I thought English would be awesome, and I was right about that, too. My first semester was awesome because I got to read a whole bunch. My second semester was awesome because I got to write a whole bunch. Best of both worlds, baby! This afternoon I stopped by to see my first semester English teacher (who had also been my teacher when I was a freshman) to say goodbye. She actually kicked me out because she was about to cry (after she gave me a grad card and a gift card to the bookstore on campus for my college this fall). Leaving her classroom was really hard.

Psychology (both regular and AP) was really fun and interesting, and I'm sure it will be very helpful in the future when I am writing novels (for character development and whatnot). Fun fact: I actually did not intend to take AP Psych at all at the beginning of the year, but I loved regular psych so much that I just had to keep going. (Besides, I really didn't want to take Web Animation.)

Now that I've taken aquatic biology, my mission is to sit down and watch Finding Nemo again. I bet I will know much more about the ocean now than I did when I was a kid! I was reminded of that movie so many times while taking that class, especially during the second semester, when we focused on salt water. Also, I had a major feeling of accomplishment today before I left for the last time.

During first semester, I was assigned to the brackish water tank. Our job was to convert the once saltwater tank into a brackish water tank so that we could have one for the class. We worked long and hard on it, but we didn't seem to be getting anywhere. When second semester came along, I switched class periods (but kept the same course), so I was reassigned to a new, freshwater tank with my friend Katie. Meanwhile, my other lab buddies were still working hard on the brackish tank in another class period. Every week I would walk into the lab area and notice that our tank was not making much progress, and that the fish we had gotten for the tank were waiting to be transferred. It finally got to a point where I figured we would never get that tank taken care of.

And then today came along. I went into the lab one last time to feed the fish in our freshwater tank, and on my way back to the classroom, I saw our fish swimming happily in their new home. A huge sense of relief and pride washed over me. We did it. It took an entire school year and a lot of hard work, but we did it. Our fish are living in the school's only brackish water tank. Finally.

Made me feel good. :-)

As I predicted, Algebra II was VERY difficult. I was not sorry or sad at all to leave that class. I will miss the teacher, but not the course. I never want to see another Algebra II textbook again. I am DONE. (And surprisingly, despite how much I have struggled this entire semester, I felt pretty good about my final exam when I left this afternoon.)

Spanish III was amazing. I learned a lot in that class. I am happy to say that I can now hold a conversation in Spanish without much of a problem, and I can read and write in the language extremely well. Senora Good was a great teacher. I missed Senor Montano, but Senora was awesome.

So, all in all, a great senior year! Hard, but worth every minute. The last couple of weeks have been pretty emotional and stressful, but it's all over now. All that's left is to graduate and receive my diploma on Sunday! (And remember, way back in August during my first week of school, I was Leonardo! :D)

I believe that's all I have for you as far as school updates. I'm done! Crazy! All of my finals went well, some better than others, but I think I may have even passed my Algebra II final, so life is grand!

...now what do I do?

Tomorrow I have nothing going on. No school, no homework, no baseball games, no hangouts...just me. I have been considering going to see the new Godzilla movie in theaters. I might do that. Who knows? Friday I have graduation practice and then a hangout with my friends immediately after, Saturday my grandparents (mom's side) are arriving for my grad party that evening, and then Sunday is the official graduation.

It all happened so fast.

                                 (This is a picture of my high school.)

No comments:

Post a Comment